6 to 8 Servings
Elevate your home-cooked meals with our Vegetable Biryani spice blend. Immerse yourself in the exquisite fusion of aromatic spices that effortlessly complement a variety of vegetables. Our precise spice blend ensures that each bite of your biryani is a symphony of flavors, capturing the essence of authentic Indian cuisine.
- 1.5 cups of Long grain basmati rice
- Spicytude biryani Mix (4 bags)
- Powdered spices to marinate the vegetables.
- Whole spices to marinate the vegetables.
- Whole spices for rice
- 2 lb of vegetables ( Cauliflower, beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes) cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 2 tsp of garlic minced or store-bought paste
- 2 tsp of ginger minced or store-bought paste
- 4 tsp of ghee
- 4 tbsp of any cooking oil
- 2 cups of onion sliced
- ¼ cup of milk to soak saffron
- 1 cup of chopped mint
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 2 thai green chillies slit ( skip for less spicy version)
- 6 tsp Lime juice (juice of 2 freshly squeezed limes)
Pots and Pans
- 1 thick bottomed pot to cook biryani and one big pot to cook rice.
Step 1. Fry Onions
- Fry 1 ½ cup of sliced onions in 2 tbsp of oil over medium high heat until the edges are brown. Drain on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Step 2. Marinate Vegetables
- In a large bowl, mix together yogurt, the contents of sachet 1. Powdered spices , and sachet 2. Whole spices. Add ginger paste, garlic paste , 2 tsp of ghee and green chillies, mixing well with each addition. Sprinkle 2 tsp of lime juice over the vegetables and then add the vegetables to the marinade in the bowl. Mix together thoroughly and allow to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes to an hour, or overnight in the fridge for even more intense flavor.
Step 3. Cook Rice
- Wash the basmati rice two or three times until the water runs clear. Put 1.5 cups of rice, 8 cups of water, 3. whole spices, and salt into the pot and cook on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the flame to medium and let cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the rice is 70 % cooked. Now pour everything into the colander and drain out the water.
Step 4. Soak Saffron
- Heat ¼ cup of milk and add 4. saffron to it. Let it soak for a few minutes to release the golden yellow color.
Step 5. Layer the pot with vegetables, rice and otheringredients
- Place marinated vegetables in a heavy bottomed pot, sprinkle some mint, cilantro, lime juice and fried onions. Add the half cooked rice on top and sprinkle over the remaining mint, cilantro, lime juice and fried onions. Add saffron milk and the remaining ghee on top. Cover the pot with aluminum foil and then cover it with the lid to prevent the steam from escaping the pot. Cook on high heat for ten minutes and then put the pot on a wide pan on the stove and cook for another 30 minutes on medium flame. Turn off the stove and biryani is ready to serve. Use a fat wide spoon and gently dig deep to get to the vegetables to serve. Traditionally this dish is served with a side of raita.
- Our raita recipe is on the website.
Note: Please do not consume whole spices and green chillies as they are too strong in flavor. The recipe needs them to add flavor and they are meant to be separated out and discarded before eating.